Friday, September 21, 2012

ASUS Eee PC 1001PX-EU17-BK Netbook Review - Computers


I have owned this netbook for six months now and it is going strong. Still boots and runs fast and smoothly. The trackpad has been annoying at times (the multitouch is nowhere as good as a mac and it often misinterprets scrolling to be resizing etc). Other than that and the poor battery life, this is a good netbook.

Pros:

1. Beautiful design and light weight. This is part of the ASUS seashell design family, with beautiful curves and design details. The netbook surfaces are textured to minimize fingerprint smudges. For that reason, I think white looks much better than black since the texturing shows more on the black and makes it look more grey or brown than an elegant black. The white looks very elegant. The netbook weighs very little (about the weight of a textbook).2. Performance and features. It's a lot faster than I was expecting, and multitasks quite well (granted, the worst I have been subjecting it to has been installing many programs, streaming videos, and some video processing). There are times when you can notice a definite slower response than a laptop but those instances have been few so far. Also a note on memory - I think the 1GB memory is more than enough for me. I have not had a sluggish performance problem, and my free memory has always been >200MB while running multiple ap plications. This is a plus as I won't have to upgrade to 2GB memory right away as most netbook users do.Overall on performance, I would say it is 80% of a laptop (and not 50% or lower as one might expect). I can see myself not needing my laptop for anything other than MATLAB or intensive programs from now on.3. Features. I like the beautiful bright LED screen and multitouch touchpad (scroll with two fingers etc).4. Small power adapter. The power adapter is half the size of laptop power adapters, which is excellent for travel.5. Little bloatware. Few (4-5) pre-installed programs. Dell is notorious in this category.

Cons:

1. Battery life. It's a 3-cell battery, and rated only to 4 hours max. I have been getting around 3 hours using it normally with screen brightness at 50% (with this screen, 50% is plenty - 100% is too bright). I will definitely have to take my power adapter with me wherever I go. This might be a serious problem for some of you. Consider some of the other ASUS models (8-11 hours battery life) if it is.2. Temperature. Minor issue, but it gets a little warm while running. You won't need a cooling pad or anything but you'll notice. Actually, you might not even notice depending on what you're used to. I am used to a Thinkpad laptop which has one of the best cooling.3. Windows starter. It lacks in features compared to higher versions, such as the ability to change your desktop image. Not an issue for me but might be for some of you.4. Touchpad and keyboard. Again, being used to a Thinkpad's amazing touchpad and keyboard, this one takes a little getting used to. The touchpad butt ons are hard to press. The keyboard is a little cramped. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to get used to though.5. Only 2 USB ports. It does come with a SD/MMC card reader though.

Read more in my ASUS Eee PC 1001PX-EU17-BK Netbook Review.



Website Design & SEO

No comments:

Post a Comment